After reading a post by Glennon Melton on her Momastery blog, I decided that I, too, want to cut out theFacebook (as it used to be known - yes, that's how long I've been a user) from my life for forty (40) days.
I realize I can't remember the last time I consistently kept a journal, or withstood the pause between sentences exchanged with my four-year-old by being in the moment rather than darting my eyes and running my thumb over the screen of my smart phone. I have concluded that there must be more to life than Facebook: there just has to be.
Of course, the reality - the enormity - of what disconnecting myself from the most connected social network means has not yet sunk in. I get my news (both about current events as well as about the friends and family closest to me) from Facebook. Addresses, directions, and phone numbers are stored there. It has single-handedly replaced every other resource, both online and offline, real and virtual, that I have ever had available to me. "It" has been a source of comfort and a voice of reason when I lacked peace and strength and wisdom in Real Life.
But it is time for me to cut my puppet-strings and start living an unfiltered life.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your interest in my story! I appreciate all feedback.