Thursday, August 8, 2013

Sinking

 
has replaced
 
.
 
Kind of makes this hiatus seem pointless; and reminds me I need to re-focus harder. For instance, I woke up around 2 AM last night to use the bathroom, and take the kids to the bathroom so they do not bedwet. Afterwards, I went back to bed, but I spent a few minutes scrolling through Pinterest and pinning images. I've also found myself gravitating back to my browser several times a day while at work. My friend is getting married in a year, and I am using it as an excuse to fall into my old ways; only this time on Pinterest.
 
At one time (okay, about a couple weeks ago), meme's and news stories and gossipy statuses held a place of importance in my sad little life. I'm just being honest: the video or infographic (or or or) floating around used to matter and provide both a source of entertainment and cultivate a sense of community, forming the substance of my virtual friendships (which bled into my off-line life). While walking to work on Tuesday morning, it ocurred to me that I am completely out of touch with the latest trends of meme, and I actually like it that way!
 
So today, just when I am finally liberated from the News Feed of Death, I realize I fell down the rabbit hole again into Pinterest-land. *DEEP SIGH*
 
It is important to face the facts, though: I am human, and while I have avoided logging into Facebook (by having my husband change my password for me and dutifully keeping it from me until the appropriate day) during my 40-day Facebook Fast, I haven't purged myself of all urges for social media. Namely because I haven't erased or fixed the part of myself that craves social interaction on my own terms. I still want meaningful companionship and relationship, but I also still have an aversion to being vulnerable, flexible, and accessible. It is okay to mess up sometimes. It doesn't mean I'm messed up just because I do mess up. I will have plenty of time to practice accessibility in social situations over the next few days though: tomorrow morning my friend comes over with her son for the kids and i to visit with; tomorrow evening my other friend is hosting a jewelry party she's invited me to; Saturday i'm taking the kids to a local museum and a baseball game; and sunday we were invited to a friend's house for dinner.
 
I'm already bracing myself for the emotionally taxing weekend ahead. I know that this is good and natural, however, and that the best way to learn to swim is to be thrown in the deep end and paddle while you sink.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in my story! I appreciate all feedback.